Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Devil's Marbles

A year ago today, I was in one of the most hautingly beautiful places in the world.

Smack in the middle of Australia, one of the harshest environments on earth, is a rock formation called Devil's Marbles (yes, that means what you think).



The colors are so amazing out there it makes you want to cry. I couldn't knit on the 21 hours on the flight on the way back, because the Outback and seared itself into my memory. On the 21 hour flight there, I was too excited to settle into the knitting. Forget trying to knit while I was there, even on the van rides. Gum trees, giant termite mounds, endless blue sky and orange-dun earth was right out the window.




So what I did do, a few rows on one cuff, isn't my best knitting ever. I see lots of mistakes in the rib where perhaps, a wallaby hopping by the van got my attention.




I just picked it back up after sitting in my basket a year, to finish it up. Anything else I would rip it, but I can't bear to undo anything done on my great adventure, my dream of a lifetime.

So they stay.

3 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! Oh, such amazing photos, I can imagine so well what a wonderful time you had over there - and mind you, no one can blame you for being a bit - errr - distracted with your knitting there! But, what an amazing memory indeed!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Donna said...

What beautiful pictures.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'll take a few mistakes in exchnage for such memories any day. Your photos are incredible- those skies. Hey, your yarn has the sunset in it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home