Monday, May 08, 2006

To dye for

I took the day off Monday, and I got to dye all my fiber from sheep and wool. It took all afternoon.
I learned a few new things:

  • When testing new colors, don't mix up the order of the samples before you write them down.

  • Don't set your brown dyepot next to the edge of the counter.


Besides that, things went really well. I used the dishwasher' method to set the dye. Don't worry, I double bagged the fiber so drips where minimal and I ran an empty cycle before doing any dishes.
So this is what I got- I think it's my bets dye results so far.

I'm going to name the colorways because it makes me feel all arsty and professional.
This is silk roving in Sunspot- orange, red, dark brown and yellow.

Here is some alpaca in Blue Sky- several blue shades:

Some BFL in Autumn- orange, brown, rust:

some Wensleydale in forest walk- brown, rust, green, mummy brown:

and last some superwash merino in Dutch tulip- greens and red:

3 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I applaud your dyeing! You're very talented. On the Knitty coffeeshop you asked about combining colors. If you haven't already read Color in Spinning by Deb Menz, it is a good resource. Lots and lots of instruction on different color combos and lots of color photos. I refer to it often.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Okay, artsy-fartsy girl :) I love the sunspot and dutch tulip, cannot wait to see them spun.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dyeing is so beautiful! I love Wensleydale, makes me wanna go knit something for Wallace and Gromit!

Sunspot is just gorgeous! Your names are really clever and suit the colours you've used! Well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home