Monday, September 18, 2006

Knitty review

As many of you know, the fall Knitty is out. Here is my review of it, because everyone wants to hear MY opinions.

Knitty
This issue of Knitty for me was all about the articles. I think sometimes these are overlooked over free pattern lust, but really sometimes they are the best part of the magazine. There is a good pictorial on bind off styles that will be useful to knitters heading toward intermediate stage. A very tempting double-knitted sock overview for the advanced/insane. Really interesting faqs on sweater rebuilding and pattern shortening, if you ever need to do so. Knittyspin, quickly becoming my favorite section of Knitty, has a fun section on the results on what happens when two spinners attempt to dye and spin the same thing.

As far as patterns go, there are some really stunning ones. My only comment is that Knitty has been pretty heavy on sock patterns recently. Not a problem with me, but the non-sock knitters may be sick of them by now.

I will say there is little for me to knit, but that's not Knitty's fault. Ivy is my favorite pattern, but I have a wrap sweater in the wings. I'll be done with socks for a bit when I finish the two pair I'm working on now. I don't need any more bags, and I don't have wee ones to knit for and my man doesn't wear sweaters. Serrano is great (it uses Anne!) but I have a lace sweater, and I have a limited use for things that require special underlayers.
Sugar and Snow is fun and I like the pattern, but practically it's hard for me to imagine a time when I'd want to give up a hat in favor of a neckwarmer.

I'd love to see photos of the Knittyspin Orangina- I may be tempted to knit it, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be worn. If anyone finds some on a blog, let me know!

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger aija said...

I loved the new knitty too, even though I don't usually feel drawn to garments/sweaters, I felt the serrano calling my name (it may just have been the idea of a sweater in Anne!) :)

I totally admit to skimming knitty articles, but these were really interesting and made me poke around in the archives for more.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger jillian said...

Just for you I posted photos of Orangina being worn both ways.
Enjoy!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

The articles were great this time around weren't they? They're always good, but they "spoke" to me this time!

I have to let the patterns grow on me. I'm getting all excited about *last* fall's patterns. Ha ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home