Sunday, October 29, 2006

Satellite

When your hung over from the pirate cruise, apparently you spin. My first 'novelty' yarn I'm calling 'Satellite'.



This is Falkland wool, 'asteroid' colorway from Black Bunny Fibers spun up with a few beads. Some crystals and a few tiny little stars. I know a lot of people don't like their nice wool polluted with beads, but I do enjoy a tiny, tasteful bit of sparkle now and then. The color and the name of the roving was just screaming for it.

It was my first time spinning with beads. I simply threaded a bunch on a spool of thread, put the spool on my lazy kate along with 2 bobbins of singles. I plied them together, occasionally pulling up a bead and letting it get twisted in there. Easy.

I allowed my singles to get a little sloppy instead of spinning slowly for a even thread. I wanted a little random thick-and-thin business going on. I think it's going to be a reverse-stockinette hat.

I really getting into this spinning thing this fall. The Lendrum hasn't been folded away in weeks! I may even hunt for a fleece at Maryland sheep and wool this year and send it away for processing.

5 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Mariss said...

Wow! I love the little astroids! And of course I am singing "Satellite of Love" in my head!

The pirate ship looked like a ton of fun! I will definitely make it to knitting circle this week and can't wait to hear about it!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I like the beads! Subtle and tasteful.

Hmm...first my sister goes as Sputnik to a Halloween party this weekend and you spin this.

The satellites must be aligned just right!

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the beads!! Lovely, not "novelty" at all to me :)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger AR said...

Looks like a blast! That must have so much fun. Great costumes!
Your yarn looks really neat. I need to learn to spin!!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hey wench! That's some awfully pretty yarn you spun....arrrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home