Monday, December 18, 2006

All about cars

I know I owe you a vacation wrap up post, but I haven't had time yet. The problem with taking vacation the first two weeks in December is that your behind the holiday ball. I thought I was prepared, but alas, I was not. I hate last minute shopping. I still have some knitting to do, but it's only a couple hours of work, so I'm not stressed about finishing Gift #2.

Cars, part 1
So some of you know I have a horrible, unreasonable phobia of driving on the highway. I don't know where it came from, or why. When learning to drive, the first time I went to merge on a highway I swear I had a heart attack. Living in a metro area, it's almost impossible to go anyplace without going through about 5 onramps, so this has been a bit of an issue with my quality of life. I want to at least hate driving but be capable of doing it if I have to.

So Saturday I drove from Haddonfield to Valley Forge. I didn't die or have a heart attack, but my hands did go numb for about five minutes. I didn't run anyone off the road or cut anyone off, but pardon me if you where stuck behind me when I was going only around 60. I was in right lane so get over it.

Anyway, we're going to see my Mom in upstate NY, and part of the deal is that I have to help drive some of the 4.5 hours there. After 76 and the blue route, the Northeast extention should be a snap. Now if I can only tell my blood pressure that.


Cars, part 2

So after a great day of shopping and no one dying because I was behind the wheel of a 1 ton killing machine, karma had to slap us around a bit.

We went to a party in olde city and parked the car. When we came back, no car. We also discovered that perhaps we had unknowingly blocked a hidden driveway.

So either two things happened. The car was stolen or towed. Since there was no 'no parking' or tow company signs in front of the 'driveway' we randomly called towing companies and the city. No dice.

So we called a cop. We showed him the empty spot where the car was. The THREE of us looking for a legal spot didn't see that it was a driveway. I'd have to take a picture to show you the issue, but for one the front of the 'driveway' was a full curb and a sidewalk. He pronounced that the car was likely stolen since the parking spot looked OK to him, too. He also pointed out the residence looked unoccupied (it was for sale) and it would be a damn fast tow for an unoccupied house.

So sad and dejected we got a cab home. Mr. Nice Cop actually stopped his patrol car in the street to halt a cab for us.

About an hour later, Mr. Nice Cop calls and tells us it was indeed, towed. He even said he would call the towing company and bitch them out for 'stealing' our car. In his opinion the parking spot was not tow-worthy since it was so scantily marked.

So the next day we went to the car towing company, which of course charged us full price for the tow regardless. There is no judge and jury when the parking troll man has your car. So we are out $200, but don't have to buy a new car or deal with that run around. So really when your car goes missing paying the troll is the best outcome.

However, if you live on 3rd and Queen, fucking mark your hidden driveway, jerk. I hope you bend your rims jumping the 3" curb when you drive up the sidewalk to your 'driveway' every day.

5 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Good lord you're kidding! Of course you're not. That's freakin' bunk!!! Geeze, maybe we should pool our money, buy a tow truck and just go around randomly towing legally parked cars and charging people $200 to retrieve them.
Lame.
Would it have been worse if it had been stolen???

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Sherry W said...

Yeah much worse. The deductible is $500, and then we'd need to take whatever the insurance company decided to give us for the value and buy a car. Chances are we'd have increased car payments, too. Then there is all the BS paperwork, etc.

My husband was stompin' mad if it got stolen. He just got it detailed and a fe odds and ends done to it. Nothing like having your clean tuned up car stolen, huh? At least the towing trolls didn't hurt the car.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger AR said...

Wow $200! That sucks. Glad your car was ok, but $200!

I understand your driving issues. Luckily, I don't have to use the freeway much where I live. We went out of state last month, though, and I drove for the first time on the freeway. With my MIL riding shotgun. Fun.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Nell said...

Both outcomes have happened to me. Same car - 'Milly'. First time I parked on a (invisible) double yellow, so it was my own fault that she got towed. Second time, she was nicked from outside the house and found on fire. Our whole family were distraught, she was an old friend! The paper work was a nightmare and they only gave us £150 all said and done. Not enough to replace a car worth it's weight in gold....

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Aponia said...

I'm glad your car was not stolen. And I think I know the exact place your talking about. That totally sucks. What a way to start the season!!!

I hope you and your hubbie have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Hopefully we'll see each other early in 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home