Thursday, February 15, 2007

pointy stumpos

Recently I've heard that Addi is coming out with a set of 'lace' knitting needles with a sharper tip. Apparently this is due to 'popular demand', but I suspect Knitpicks Options set was cutting in on their profits and they needed to do something.

I've never been a fan of Addis. Grumperina calls then 'blunty stumpos' with fondness. I need a sharp needle. Put them through a pencil sharpener and I'd be happy. I also think they are insanely overpriced for metal needles, and this is from someone who spends way too much on yarn-related goodies.

I don't want to get into a needle debate, because I think there is a tool for every knitter. It's a waste of breath. You'd never a bamboo lover to go to slippery metal, or a blunty stumpp fan to go to a pointy needle. That's why they make different needles- we don't all knit the same.

What I don't get is why would an Addi fan who likes the blunt needles go buy the sharp ones? Why would you pay 3x more then the Knitpicks circs? Discuss.

6 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger EmilyG said...

Well, Grumperina didn't like the knitpicks because she said they were heavy. (See http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2006/07/weighing_in.htm.)

Also, while I'm sure the Options needles had something to do with their decision, see this entry for results of an email campaign to get the Addi people to make pointier needles. http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2006/07/follow_ups.htm So they did get some serious customer demand!

Emily

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them all! I have addi's I have knit picks, I have bamboo and I use every one of them. I really like the knit picks because I like the option of many needle lengths. So I guess I'm no good at the discussion portion because well I love them all and own them all. Maybe I'm just a sucker for knitting tools.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger EmilyG said...

Hi, Sherry!

Could you email me at emilysgavin (at) yahoo.com if you get a chance? I've got a computer question for you, but only if you don't mind...

Thanks!
Emily

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Ah, but you are assuming the decision is based solely on the point. I like Addis because of the cable and the join, as well as the surface coating. So the idea of having a choice of a blunter tip or a sharper is good news for me.

Also, KnitPicks circulars come in a very limited range of sizes.

And then there is always the issue of wanting to support one's local yarn shop who sells the Addis...

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger AR said...

I love all knitting needles! :)

I think it really depends what you're knitting, the needles should match the projects. I guess I'm a sucker for knitting tools, like rebekah!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Donna said...

I disagreed with Grumperina's reviews of the Options. I love them and cannot discern any difference in weight during use--I'm not about to go pulling out the scales to weigh them, either! No, I would not pay more for sharper pointed Addis.

I think customer service on both KP and Addi/Skacel's part is outstanding. I will continue to use both of their needles. I'm all for supporting local business, but I'm more about watching my own financial bottom line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home