Sunday, April 01, 2007

Make me smile!

So I let the yarn dry overnight, and this is what I got.


Amazing orange goodness. Like most solid kettle dyed yarn, it's slightly darker and lighter here and there which I find pleasing. I wish I had done lace weight like Zephyr wool-silk!

What about the onions?
When I was cooking the skins* I made soup!
Italian Onion Soup
Slice 5-6 medium onions thin.

With 4 tablespoons olive oil, cook very slowly over low heat for about 45 minutes. Onions should be sweet, soft and and golden brown.

Add a couple pinches of rosemary, black pepper, and a splash of dry red wine or Cognac. Turn up the heat a little. stir and let he alcohol cook off.

Add about 5-6 cups of beef broth (I used some lamb stock I had frozen). Let it simmer until it's warm, about 25 minutes.

Cut a few slices of Italian bread. Toast it if it's fresh. Put the soup into crocks with he bread on top. Top with grated mozzarella cheese and put under the broiler until cheese bubbles.


The remaining onions I chopped in the food processor, sauteed them about halfway and put them in the freezer for later use.

*Yes, I cooked food the same time I dyed yarn. Nothing I used was toxic. Onions are obviously edible and the mordants are USDA food additives you can get at the grocery. Alum (an alumimum salt) and Cream of Tartar (an acid byproduct from winemaking) are used in baking powders, water purification, pickles, etc. When I was a kid we used Alum as a canker sore cure.

I understand that some mordants and dyes can be bad news and some people may be preaching for consitancy if you also use these types. I really read some silly warnings about non-toxic dyes on the 'net. For example, I don't think you need to be wearing a dust mask and chemical gloves when working with drink mix. You don't want to snort the stuff I'm sure, but Mom never seemed have troubles when making Kool-Aid. I even go crazy and use regular utensils!

5 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Mmm..love that color! Onions. Hm, would purple onions work you think?

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Wow - that's a beautiful color! You have inspired me to give it a try at some point.

And I'm with Bezzie - I wonder what color you would get with purple ones.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger EmilyG said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger AR said...

That is so neat! My mom used to dye some eggs with onion skins every year. Love the color you got.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't onionskin wonderful? I have used it a lot, most recently I dyed about fifteen 4-oz skeins of white or grey, using onionskins and alum, copper, and iron mordants. I've got a range of golds to greens to browns, and it's becoming a granny square afghan. Purple onion skins will give shades of red and magenta, but not the true purple that's mixed red and blue. It's beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home