Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Ran out of yarn

Even though I spun up more then the suggested amount and close to he same gauge, I only finished about 1/2 of my shawl before I ran out of my handspun. I know the shawl in the magazine was smaller in diameter then the original pattern, and I wonder if she forgot to factor that in when she wrote it.

100_4382.JPG

The wool tends to variegate in a very subtle way. Just the natural color of the sheep, its lighter and darker wool just happens to come together abd blip and stripe here and there. After combing, after plying, it amazes me it isn't all a marled solid grey. It's mad crazy love, I tell you.

100_4381.JPG

The other good thing about spinning is that as long as you have more fleece, you can make more yarn. No worries. I'll need another bobbin full (about 5 ounces) I guess to finish the edge. So I figure I'll give it a rough block to help be join the folded circle and attach the (long) edging.

6 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger aija said...

Wow, a shawl from your own handspun-- so awesome!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I love that weird marling/striping. If it wasn't handspun it wouldn't be something I could tolerate (I'm knitting some HS that's doing the same thing right now).

Very pretty!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, you are really zipping along on that shawl! Thank heavens you have more fleece to spin.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Beautiful! You know, it kind of looks like a mini Faroese. You could wear it as is!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Donna said...

That is so neat that you are making a shawl from handspun. I'm seriously impressed.

Psst.....left a little something for you on my blog!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You inspire me. I love the effect of the color blend on the handspun. I'm a beginning spinner myself, and I have a fleece that I'm working on. This is a wonderful idea. Be sure to post more pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home