Monday, September 17, 2007

Harmony

Okay, the mailman came back and delivered my needles. Whew.

By now there has been several posts on these needles, but I thought I'd show you them in comparison to the Knitpicks Options nickel needles.

Head to head:


The Harmony needles feel very similar to the options needles, with a little more grab. I like slick needles and these are very similar to slicker bamboo needles like Crystal Palace.



They have a very similar tip; I was able to perform k3tog and m1 with ease. They are about the same size as the nickel tips too.


Color:

Above you can see the laminated wood colors. Certainly not as circus-like as on the Knitpicks webpage. (Size 7 needles shown.)

There was some concern on some boards that the colors would obscure stitches. So I poked around in the stash and found some grey/blue/purple Koigu that looked to have good potential for blending in with the Harmony wood.


Nickel


Harmony

I don't think any color yarn would pose a serious problem.

Joins:
There is a tiny, teeny space between the wood and the metal join. However normal laceweight doesn't seem to snag at all. Here is some Pewter Zephyr wool-silk laceweight on a size 10 Harmony:



I tried to knit tight, and was able to slide the yarn around over the joins.

Problems:

Sadly there is some trouble in paradise.


Make sure to hold the metal join and NOT the wood tip when tightening in your tips. Otherwise the tip may make a lovely crunchy noise and come free of the metal. Ask me how I know this. :(

Also, some of the threads may not be true on the tips. I have a bad US10 and US4. Test your set to make sure. If you find a problem, KP customer service is excellent and will replace them. I know this was a problem with the nickel Options too. I guess the manufacturing tolerances on a $6 needle isn't very high.

Summary:
All in all, I love these needles. I will be using them for slippery yarns and in the winter when I will want a warmer option to the nickel. The occasional defect is an annoyance but not a prohibitive one, especially for the price.

I haven't used my DPNs yet, but I will let you know what I think soon.

7 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks for that info! Mine just arrived today, will test drive them after dinner. Especially for the tightening tip!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Thanks for the honest review and the pictures!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Chelsea said...

Thanks for the pictures! I have the US5 tips coming this week, and looking at pictures helps me through the waiting. ;)

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks so much for the review. I had some problems with my nickel tips, so I'm glad to hear what the issues with these are, but I agree completely that, given the price and overall quality of the needles for the price, the issues aren't prohibitive. I'm just waiting for the 28th so I the tips I want are back in stock.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Good review. My tips are due on the 22nd. I already had the original options set so just ordered tips in sizes up to 11. I will probably add the larger size tips later.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger aija said...

Thanks for the tip on checking the needles! I have some but only tried the tips I was using... think I'll poke thru them all and make sure the joins and threads are true before I find I need them and there's a problem.

I normally really dislike wood needles, but these are so slick they don't even feel like the wood I am used to. They won't replace the 24" addis, but they'll be a nice addition lengthwise for me.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for the warning about tightening tips and testing them out when I get them. Whenever that maybe. I am impatiently waiting on Canada Post. Who have always sucked....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home