Tuesday, September 25, 2007

what to do with all those DPNs

Like so many other knitters I've been using needle rolls to store my DPNs. I know this works for many people, but I don't really like needle rolls. Even with my DPN protectors on most of the sets, it's hard to keep them organized. you can't label anything and they tend to escape when your rolling and unrolling. I'm not into all that rolling and tying, either.

I really like the Knitpicks Options portfolio for my circulars, but the pockets are too small for DPNs. The pockets are clear, I can label the needle sizes with my label maker, and they all zip up and stay put.

So here is my semi-cheapass way to make a storage center for circs or DPNs.

Find a 3 ring binder wide enough for your needs. I had this dinosaur one floating around the house.

100_4484.jpg
Grrr! I protect your DPNS!

I then went to the now-discounted school supplies section at a department store. I bought 8 clear plastic 3 ring binder zippered pencil pouches. I think they cost me $10. Not super cheapass, but since it's also my total cost for this project, it's okay.

100_4485.jpg

I got a pocket for doodads like a needle sizer, a pocket each for US sizes 0-3, and then a pocket for 4-7, 7-11 and 13+. You could of course buy as many pockets as you want and use them accordingly. I labeled the pockets with my label maker.

Socks

Almost done with one of my Galaxy socks. I'm taking a remote learning class at work, which equals to a lot of sock knitting time while I listen.
100_4488.jpg

I could use some more remote training classes.

4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

It's still cheaper than the KP portfolio, and way cooler! The dollar store might carry pocket binder doohickies like that too.

Nice sock!

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

It is way cooler too!!

That sock looks really good! Hoping my pal finds me some in Germany! :)

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Earin Marybird said...

I love this. I've never been happy with the various ways I've tried to store my dpns. Thanks!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

The galaxy socks are looking spiffy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home