Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rantings of a two-wheeled commuter

I've blogged about how I bike to work a few times. One of the things I love about my city is that it attempts to be bike friendly. One of these attempts are bike lanes that are installed through the city.

Guess what bike lanes are for? Just guess.

Construction areas?


Bike lanes are always the first to go on an urban construction project. It's hard to see, but the whole lane is blocked off ahead. I think they see it as 'expansion room' instead of a traffic lane.




Nice bike friendly patch job, jackasses. We got loose sand, chunks of asphalt, a big bump, and metal grates that are fun when it rains. Is it the friggin' x-games?


Jaywalkers?
Note how they look for oncoming bike traffic. Peds have the right of way, but try to stop the suicidal behavior, peoples. My personal favorite is when they leap out from between parked cars.



Waiting area for crosswalks?
Once again, watching carefully for oncoming traffic while you just hang in the street.



Parking?
Worst offenders are always contractors. They think they can just park anyplace for as long as they want.





Turning lanes?
If one isn't marked, just cut off the bikes and make a lane!



Cab stations?
Who like to dodge right in front of bikes to drop off and pick up. There is, BTW, a 'no stopping anytime' sign on the other side pole there. Maybe because it's a crosswalk?

4 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger EmilyG said...

Nice documentation! You should share this with the Philly Bicycle Coalition!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

But on the plus side, at least Philly is savvy enough to even *have* bike lanes. I think East Lansing was the only other place I've lived where they had them.

Your flip-off-honking-friend comment really made my day!! Hee hee!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you... I've become so frustrated with the bike lanes that I walk most places these days. It might be slow, but beats being run over or getting angry as well.

We miss you on Thursdays!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Walking isn't much less frustrating. Really, all you can do is sit down with a nice cup of herb tea and knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home