Friday, January 04, 2008

Mr Roboto

Now look what I have gotten myself into.

100_4901.JPG

A knitting machine. It's the intro level Bond Ultimate Sweater Machine, to be exact. I had read up on these devices, and was ready for some trials during the learning curve. You know what? It was almost easy. Sure, it took an evening fiddling and finding out what I was doing wrong. I can now knit a whole skein of the crunchy acrylic that came with it in about 20 minutes (and that's noob time). That means I could chug out a baby blankie in about a night. They say an adult sweater in a couple days. Think of the stash bustin'power here. Well, for DK- heavy worsted stash.

Now it only makes stockinette really fast. It will cable, rib, etc. but it takes some by hand stitch manipulation to do it. You can always chug out the plain knitting, then pick up the stitches and hand knit you cuffs, etc. You can even make a provisional cast on so it's really easy to add a ribbed bottom on a sweater, for example.

Now excuse me, I have a date with my Robot.

8 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Hmm..he's sexy. I like that purple color he's sporting.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

I keep eyeing those. So many boring swaths of stockinette that would just go away!

Might actually break down and get one, since you seem so enamored. :)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Interesting! I know they exist, but I don't think I'd actually seen a picture of one before.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Cool! Look forward to seeing what you whip up! :)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger aija said...

Nice! I just listened to an old episode of stash & burn where they talked about their Bond-- pretty neat :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mariss said...

Shut up!!! That is awesome :) Can't wait to see what you do with it.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I agree with what Mariss said. You go girl!! I can't wait to see what you do with your new toy.=)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Gauss said...

Baby blanket in an evening... a blanket for myself in a week... mind-boggling! I want myself one of these!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home