Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm for Hillary

This is all about politics. Move along if you don't want to read it. Knitting content will resume tomorrow.

I've avoided it so far, but in case anyone has missed it, I'm a supporter and volunteer for Hillary Clinton's Presidential campaign. I haven't spoke about it much on my blog (you can't miss my Ravatar or the buttons on my jacket), but since others are not so shy, I thought it was about time I tell you why I feel she will make a good President. I believe she is an intelligent, resilient person who has shown a long history and dedication working for the rights of families, children, the environment and minorities.

IMG_0151.JPG
(Horrible photo of me, I know)




It's All About Experience

Hillary has done so much more then ride in on Bill's coattails. Before she was even married she was an advocate for children, migrant workers, a political intern, and a campaigner. She worked on the Children's Defense Fund (and served as chair) and in she was a member of the Nixon impeachment inquiry staff. She was twice named by the National Law Journal as one of the 100 most influential lawyers. Under pressure to become more intagrated, she was the first female member on Wal-Mart's board, where she was able to encourage the company to adopt more environmentally friendly practices.

I don't think people really understand what a great First Lady she was. I think all they recall is the Republican "Billary" spin they heard in the 90's. Often compared to Elenor Roosevelt, Hillary took an office in the West Wing of the White House and was considered to be an integral staff member. While she failed at universal health care, I believe through failures, people learn. She also had many wins, like creating an Office on Violence Against Women and working on the passing of the the Adoption and Safe Families Acts and Foster Independence Act.

As a senator, Hillary serves or has served on several important committees: Committee on Budget, Committee on Armed Services, Committee on Environment and Public Works, Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions and Special Committee on Aging and Security and Cooperation in Europe. Many of these committees require her to reach across party lines and for relationships with other Senators. A quality I believe will serve her well in the White House.

I often hear Hillary berated about her 2002 vote to go into Iraq. However, I respect her vote on that matter. I think people forget she was representing NEW YORK. If you think that elected officials should represent their constituents, she voted correctly. I personally don't think she should have to apologize for her vote for or believing the fraudulent facts about WMD's. Hindsight is 20/20. Her current voting record is very clear, and almost identical to other democrats. I also don't see this is 'flip flopping' either. Inability to change one's mind when the facts change is a bad thing, and leads to Presidents like GWB.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for a promising future through a leader that has shown her stuff through false accusations, hard times and political and press smears, and political challenges. A person who has always worked for the welfare of others, the helpless who do not have a voice. I don't need to just believe or have hope. I know what she will do as President because I've seen it demonstrated in her over the years.

These are the reasons why I changed my Voter's Registration to Democratic this year, and why I'll vote for her in the PA Primary. If you are in PA, you still have a chance to change your registration, too.


I'm not the thought police so I've left the comments open. This is my blog however, so derogatory names and other such nastiness about my candidate will be eaten. Thank you.

6 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Me too. And if she doesn't get the nom, I'll be writing someone in.

I'll be heartbroken if the nom goes to the other person who shall not be named. I think she's had to overcome a lot more obstacles than he has.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Mariss said...

I thought that was a well written post. I know you've been doing your research, and appreciate learning more about her through your blog.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your opions in such a clear, authentic way. Now if only the candidates could... I'm ready to move beyond attacks on each other's credibility and on to the "issues"!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I'm for Hillary, too. I really hope she not only gets the nomination but wins the election. If Obama happens to be our Dem nominee, I will most definitely vote for him, though. I want ANYONE in the White House except McCain or another Republican.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I'm still vacillating between Hillary and Obama, but it doesn't matter because I don't get to vote anyway.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Emerald said...

Great blog and I love your commitment. I understand that we need to push through the mud and look at the way the candidates will help our country.

Thanks for a fine read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home