Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yarn goes in, yarn goes out

So, let's revisit the yarn stash, shall we?

Once I got onto Ravelry, I indexed every full skein of yarn. This was good and bad. It was good, because I now know what I have on hand at all times. Even traveling, since I can see the contents my stash using my iphone. I know if I have x yards of something appropriate if I see a project I must have.

The bad side, is that I know how much yarn I have. Blerg. I realized I needed to exhibit more self control if I actually would like to knit some of this someday. Especially sock yarn. My goal is to keep my fiber and yarn (minus whole fleeces) contained in the storage unit I bought.

enough.jpg

I added 4 more baskets on top. It's getting tight in there! Mostly because I joined two fiber clubs, and I need to spin some of it up now.

So I realize I'm helpless when it comes to yarn buying. I've bought 5 skeins of yarn already this month, and it's only the 11th. Not good.

However, I've been better at using yarn from the stash. I also finished a Clapotis shawl (am I the last person on earth to knit one of these?).

100_5340.JPG

This was using stash yarn from years ago, from my first Maryland Sheep and Wool! So that's 5 skeins of yarn used up.

I'm also working on using 3 skeins of stashed alpaca to make Tararind, a cowl/neckwarmer thingy:

IMG_0336

It's quick, keep me warm and will use up stash yarn.

Then, I have been trying to use yarn before it even becomes stash. This is Manos del Uraguay wool in a new colorway 'cornocopia'. It never hit the stash, becasue I just love it so and had to use it right away. Rosies Yarn Cellar's knitting circle got to help pick the colorway, so I feel like it was made for me.

100_5331.JPG

It's the 'cozy V neck' from Fitted Knits. It looks so much better on!

So while I have no control over my yarn buying, I am at least trying to achieve some sort of slow growth/status quo. At least my house won't be taken over by wool, and I can still afford my guitar lessons and other niceties.

7 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Yeah, to stash busting! I think I might make a second Tamarind using some of my field trip alpaca. Love that pumpkin color...

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger EmilyG said...

Love the cornucopia sweater!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Love the sweater... and nope, you aren't the last one to make the Clapotis. I haven't made one yet.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I dig your yarn storage. Much classier than my under the bed bin!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger aija said...

I just love ravelry's indexing. It was hard coming to terms with all that was there (and where I'd hidden it!), but as gi joe reminds... knowing is half the battle ;)

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice storage unit! I want one. Where did you get that, Ikea?

I haven't made the Clapotis yet, either, although I have yarn earmarked for it.

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your yarn storage! Did you purchase the unit separate, then added baskets? Where did you purchase the unit? I must have one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home